Tuesday 3 September 2013

A Velcro Surfboard Sanding Block for $15

foam sanding block

Namaste Wiley Wood Wittlers. I was looking around recently for a velcro sanding block and was a bit surprised to find that they could set you back as much as $25 a piece and $4 each for the sanding sheets. Now at times I have been accused of being as tight as a frog's bung hole and I'm sure these things are good quality and worth every penny but I like a challenge and set out to see if I could find a cheaper alternative from readily available items. So I set off to the big green shed (Bunnings).

foam sanding block
This is what I came back with. 178 mm adhesive velcro conversion kit ($10) and assorted packs of 5 sanding disks ($10 each) from Bunnings.

foam sanding block
 20 mm thick piece of foam rubber (200 mm x 200 mm) from Clark Rubber ($5).

foam sanding block
Stick the velcro pad to the rubber piece. Be careful when sticking the velcro to the foam and work from one edge so you don't get any bubbles under the velcro.

foam sanding block
 Cut around the velcro pad with a sharp craft knife.

foam sanding block
Stick on the sanding disk and start sanding your board. It literally took me a minute to make. 178 mm is a reasonable size but you can trim it down to suit your needs.

I trimmed the edges to make it a little easier to hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment